Solved

Add Text Items to a Dimension List

• 2 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I’m wanting to add some list items I generate based on a formula into a dimension list automatically.

The Item function allows us to search and return a dimension if it exist in a list but I’m wondering how instead of returning BLANK I would be able to automatically add a missing item into the dimension.

Some context: Pulling data from multiple sources which may have the same Primary Key therefore in Pigment I would like to Concatenate the Data Source Name to the ID and add it into a Global dimension we maintain.

Ex.

Global Dimension is IDs

Data Source 1 IDs

Data Source 2 IDs

Processing I would like to do in pigment is to add Data Source 1 and 2 IDs to the global dimension so the output would be:

• DS1-1
  • DS1-2
  • DS1-3
  • DS1-4
  • DS2-2
  • DS2-4
icon

Best answer by Gawain 28 December 2022, 14:55

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no option to automatically create dimension’s items other than through an import manual or automated as of now.

However, it's an interesting use case and using the ITEM() function but with a different parameter to create the missing items is an ingenious way to tackle this. Could you submit your idea to the  "Product ideas" section? That way we can gather information and see what can be done.

A manual way to handle this could be to use the G-sheet connector to export your dimensions, combined them with a formula in a new tab and reload this tab in the combined dimension list. This workaround is probably too manual to answer your need but it should work!

Yours
Gawain