Solved

Best Practice: Metric to Chart of Accounts

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi!

Hoping some of you can share some best practices for mapping a metric’s results (for example, a forecast metric of revenue with dimension Month) to a chart of accounts (for example, account 4000: Revenue).

I know I could use lots of IF statements on a metric that has dimensions Month and IS_Accounts, but that seems fragile?

I haven’t seen another way to directly associate a metric’s result to a chart of accounts line though. Any advice? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Nathan 6 March 2023, 09:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hey Trevor,

we voted on that and the best way is:

Create Mapping:*name* metrics

In your formula do:

Forecast revenue[by:MappingMetric] + Salary[byMappingMetric2] etc etc

It is the most efficient way and the clearest. Only annoying thing is you have to create metrics for it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thanks @Nathan and team!

So I would create a metric with which dimensions? Month? And the value would be type: Dimension, IS_Account?

I would then take my IS_Account dimension in total and do a variety of Sums across, for example:

‘Forecast Revenue Total’ [by: Revenue_Mapping] + ‘Forecast Variable COGS Total’ [by: Variable_COGS_Mapping] etc. for each of the lines?

Definitely a slog to set up, but I guess once the mappings are made I can easily manage them in a table and map new calculated item metrics to them. Hmm.

It would be interesting to have a feature like this, in which the IS_Account and BS_Account dimension lists could be mapped against Metric Names essentially. So the ability to use the Metrics themselves as a dimension list, updated as you create new metrics. I could just have a metric of dimension ‘Metrics Dim List’ and values Dimension, IS_Account and select which IS_Account matches each metric all in one place.

Thanks for the tip!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Without dimension ! this way you can use them easily (though you could make your mapping by year/version if you wanted it flexible but that might be overkill)

‘Forecast Revenue Total’ [by: Revenue_Mapping] + ‘Forecast Variable COGS Total’ [by: Variable_COGS_Mapping] etc. for each of the lines?

Definitely a slog to set up, but I guess once the mappings are made I can easily manage them in a table and map new calculated item metrics to them. Hmm.”

You got it.