Solved

Change formatting of all rows in tables

• 18 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Seasoned Pigmenteer
  • 13 replies

In a table, the row headings (the pivoted fields that you can view either in Tabular or Tree layout) are by default formatted with dark grey font on a light grey background. But if I want it to make it *pop* I can’t think of other way than to go row-by-row and go through the menu:

Is there a better way?

icon

Best answer by Benoit 19 September 2022, 14:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Agnar,

In this static format menu, you can try to untick “only this item”, it will apply the format on all cells related to the same dimension item. If you apply this on the parent dimension, it will apply on children.

At the top of this, you can reformat a specific row if needed.

I recorded a little gif:

(there’s a limit on the image’s size allowed in posts, I’ll try to enhance this gif if I can)

Hope it would save you time ;) 

Best,

Benoit

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Benoit,

Thanks for the tiny gif :) But this doesn’t seem to acheive what I’m looking for unfortunately. What I would like to do is apply formatting to all the headers in the left most column. And in a list of a few thousand rows it can become a bit tedious to do one by one ;)

Best,

Agnar

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Indeed, this would work if you have not many items in your left column. It allows you to format only on the parent categories. However, I understand if this dimensions has more than 50 items, it could be painful.

Please note that Block formatting is a topic under revamping and your feedback will surely be taken into account for the roadmap.

In the meantime, there is a workaround that does not impact a lot your tree view and allow you to format all rows at once.

It’s to create a general parent mapping.

Let’s say in your far left column you have 100 items of dimension A.

• Open dimension A, and add a new property that you can call “dimension A grouping”. It will be of type dimension where you create a new dimension called “dimension A grouping”
  • In this new dimension property, in the first cell you can input one item and call it “Total”.
  • Copy this cell, click on the column header and paste this item on all cells
  • Now, all your items in your original dimension A have a parent called “Total”
  • Go back on your table, in Pivot, add “Dimension A > dimension A grouping” in rows as the first left column
  • The first row of your table will appear as Total (that you can rename as you wish) and display the aggregated sum of all children items below
  • Now you can format this line and it will apply on all your rows.

That’s the best I can think of to unlock this case. 🙂
Hope that’d work for you.

Best,
Benoit