Question

Comparison of different scenarios

• 7 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge
  • Budding Pigmenteer
  • 5 replies

We’ve created two scenarios for the BP on 24: Target and Budget
These two scenarios are items belonging to the dimension “Version”.
In the attached table, we want to add two new comparative columns, one being "Target bp 24/FY23" and the other "Budget bp 24/FY23". However, it does not allow us to add this calculated item because we cannot compare different dimensions (version and year).
How can we do this comparison? it is crucial to be able to compare as many scenarios as we want with the previous year's figures

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi Nacho,

Two questions:

In your screenshot I see Forecast and Target BP 24vs23. What is forecast if Target is the version ?

And to make sure I understand, you want to compare Target BP24 against a forecast of end 23 ?

Badge

Hi Nathan,

Forecast is another different version. Here we see all the actual and closed information for the year 22, and for the year 23 the information we have for the actual months + the forecast until the end of the year.

What we want to compare in the columns of the calculated items is our forecast for year 24, either target or budget, against the info for the whole year 23 (actuals + forecast).

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi,

If I understand right, you should do your calculated item on the version dimension, not  the year.

This way you can compare version vs version and use the offset to compare against PY of the forecast version.

Badge

Hi Nathan,

Sorry, I don’t know why but when I try to do what you’ve said, it doesn’t work.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

this screenshot looks like what you want no ?

even though this calculated item is on the Year, not the version

Badge

No, sorry. I'll try to explain it better.

The column of the table you see in the screenshot (YoY 23vs22) is fine and there is no problem, as we are comparing the same version but from different years. So far so good.

The problem occurs when I try to add the other calculated item that I mentioned before, YoY Target BP 24vs23. I have done it on the version dimension as you said before but when I click on apply the table is not created.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

you get an error message ?

Badge

Hi Nathan, 

No, nothing just doesn’t happen.