Solved

Modifiers not applying as expected

• 7 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello!

I’m attempting to aggregate my metrics into a full P&L with actual and forecast views.

I have data coming from a Shared_IS_Actuals dimension, several Revenue and COGS dimensions already mapped, a Shared_WF_Plan dimension, and a Shared_Opex_Plan dimension.

I’ve been able thus far to successfully have Actuals for all IS accounts pull in, and have Revenue, COGS, and WF (payroll, benefits, taxes) appear in a single metric.

However, when I try to add my Shared_Opex_Plan data using the formula below, my Actuals stay, my revenue and cogs disappear, my WF_Plan stays, and my Opex_Plan disappears, leaving me with only the WF_Plan.

It’s like the first by modifier to map the WF_Plan to the CoA is applying to everything?

What am I missing? 

icon

Best answer by francois 8 March 2023, 09:19

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hey Trevor,

firstly, you do not need the ( ) around your Metric[modifier], they apply in priority to the metric they are right after.

I can’t tell from the formula but it is VERY likely that the 4 parts (the 4 metrics) of the formula do not have the same dimensionality, Pigment doesn’t manage to align manually and you end up with a weird result.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I 100% agree with Nathan, it looks like your Opex and WF metrics do not share the same dimensions.

Here’s a great article that explains what happens when you add two metrics with different dimensions together :

Try to align both metrics using REMOVE, ADD or BY depending on your use case to try and have the result you expect.